Our experiential training methods focuses on active learning, learning-by-doing and reflection.
Our training packages are responsive to evolving contexts as well as different environments and participants in either urban, rural, village or facility-based environments to meet the needs of a wide range and cadre of health care and social development providers involved with the care of vulnerable mothers.
The focus of our training is to ensure health care and social development providers are
- able to engage emphatically with vulnerable mothers in order to recognise, support effectively or refer those with common mental health disorders (anxiety and depression)
- encouraged to take care of their own mental health, as this is an essential component of empathic care
Our training packages include
- Epidemiology of common mental disorders
- Screening and identification of common mental disorders
- Risk factors for poor maternal mental health
- Self-care practices for health care and social development providers
- Treatment options for under-resourced settings
- Optimal referral procedures
- “Secret History” method: training maternity staff for mental health promotion
- Nyamekela4Care an integrated intervention for addressing the training, empathic skills, clinical supervision and self-care needs of care providers in resource-constrained settings
- Infant Mental Health educational video in conjunction with Prof Astrid Berg
The video below is aimed at trainers who train care providers in empathic engagement skills and respectful care in the health and social environment.
This training method is freely available for adaptation and use.
However, we request that the PMHP is acknowledged for the original design. Most importantly, we ask that you let us know whether, where, and how you have used the method, any adaptations you have developed and any feedback you may have about the film, or about your experiences using the method. In this, we can learn from others’ work.
If you wish to receive the Facilitators’ Guide please contact us at email@example.com.
The below presentation gives a broad overview of the Nyamekela4Care intervention
Nyamekela4Care is an integrated intervention for addressing the training, empathic skills, clinical supervision and self-care needs of care providers in resource-constrained settings