Case management is the coordination of community services and formal services for mental health clients. A large proportion of our counsellor’s time is dedicated to coordinating a range of services for clients, as needed. She assesses, refers and follows-up on clients’ care plans, which can include
- referral to a place of safety or shelter
- referral to a psychiatrist or accessing antidepressants
- accessing protection or maintenance orders
- connecting clients to social support services
- referral to NGO’s who provide specialist services.
The counsellor also liaises with midwives and maternity nurses to
- monitor high-risk clients
- update staff on the clients who need additional support
- provide support on labour wards for high-risk women, and
- provide staff support and debriefing for midwives/maternity nurses and complementary service staff (e.g. peer supporters, health promoters, social workers).
PMHP keeps up-to-date directories to be able to refer women to support services in their home communities.